Erasmus FAQ

What is ERASMUS?

The ERASMUS programme (European Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students) was launched in 1987 by the European Union with the aim of promoting student mobility and cooperation between European universities.

International ERASMUS Student Network, Swiss ERASMUS Student Network

Why a semester abroad?

The ERASMUS programme offers relatively easy opportunities to spend time at a European university with a scholarship. An exchange provides an insight into the operation of the partner universities. You can learn a foreign language and establishes new international contacts.

Who is eligible for a scholarship?

In principle, all students can apply for an exchange, but only once in the ERASMUS programme. The allocation of study places is the responsibility of the subject coordinators. Direct agreements with partner universities can, therefore, not be taken into account.

How do I register?

Registration is done via an online form. The form and the exact registration procedure can be found on the International Relations website of the University of Zurich.

What are the registration deadlines?

The registration phases for the following autumn and spring semesters take place in January/February. The person responsible for the subject will forward the applications to the mobility office of the University of Zurich by 20 March at the latest.

How long does a stay abroad last?

A stay abroad lasts between 3 and 12 months. If the course of study allows it, a duration of 12 months is recommended, as experience has shown that half a year is considered too short.

How much money do I get? What do I have to pay myself?

The University of Zurich pays ERASMUS students between CHF 200 and 250 per month during their stay. Students often take a job as a student assistant at the host university. Information on jobs can be found on the websites of the host universities and from the ERASMUS coordinator responsible at the host university.

How do I find accommodation in my place of residence?

Students are responsible for arranging accommodation. You can also contact the ERASMUS supervisor of the respective host university or the ERASMUS Student Network. One option is to pass your own room on to the ERASMUS coordinator at the University of Zurich for subletting during your stay. In return, the coordination office will endeavour to find accommodation for you in your place of residence.

What do I commit myself to during a stay abroad?

Students commit themselves to an official experience report and possibly to a small lecture about their stay.

How many ECTS points are there for a stay abroad?

Students submit a "Learnig Agreement" with their home university before starting their stay. This specifies which services rendered abroad are credited to the home university. In principle, you can see in the course catalogues of the host universities how many ECTS credits are awarded for which courses. Usually these points are credited by the home university.

Which universities can I register for?

The Institute of Computational Linguistics maintains agreements with the Universities of Klagefurt, Munich (LMU), Potsdam, Vienna and Stockholm.