- January 26, 2022: Invited talk at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona. topic: Recent works on Minimum Bayes Risk decoding in machine translation.
- November 24, 2021: Invited talk at the NLP Meetup Zurich, topic: A Casual Q&A Session on Machine Translation.
- October 22, 2021: Invited lecture at the University of Berne, Switzerland, on recurrent neural networks. Recording.
- October 8, 2021: Invited talk in the SIGTYP lecture series, Exploring a Sampling-based Alternative to Beam Search. More info and recording.
- August 16, 2021: Invited talk at the LoresMT workshop of MT Summit 2021, On Meaningful Evaluation of Machine Translation Systems.
- March 3, 2021: Invited talk at NLPWithFriends about scientific progress in machine translation, more info and recording.
- October 28, 2019: Gave a "no-nonsense" talk about current topics in MT research at the fifth MT meetup in Zurich.
- 3 May, 2018: Invited talk at BrainHack Zurich: Neural Machine Translation.
- September 14, 2017: Talk at GSCL finals for GSCL thesis award: Treatment of Markup in Statistical Machine Translation.
- November 7, 2016: Invited talk at Weiterbildungsseminar Akustika (Olten, Switzerland): Schreien im Labor - Sprecheridentifizierung und forensische Phonetik.
- May 22, 2016: Talk at the Jozef Stefan Institute in Ljubljana on Crowdsourcing Linguistic Resources.
TUTORIALS / WORKSHOPS
Between 2017 and 2021 together with Jeannette Roth I have taught numerous workshops for highschool students with the main goal of showcasing what studying Computational Linguistics and being a Computational Linguist is like.
- December 6, 2019: Workshop on Machine Learning/NLP for the data journalism team of Tamedia, taught together with Simon Clematide and Manfred Klenner.
- May 8, 2019: Teaching a workshop on neural networks for PhD students from various corners of the UZH. More info to appear here: http://www.geo.uzh.ch/microsite/ml4sep/index.html.
- January 2019: Workshop on Machine Learning for the E-Services team of the University Library of Berne, taught together with Phillip Ströbel.
- December, 2019: An interview with Slator resulted in an article discussing the prospects of BLEU.
- December 6, 2018: I participated in a Google Cloud Faculty Institute event in London.
- October 28, 2018: I was on the jury of the Open Cultural Data Hackathon (GLAMHack) 2018.
- September, 2017: An interview appeared in the 2017 issue of Perspektiven Sprachwissenschaft.