I'm a doctoral student interested in machine translation, unreasonably effective neural networks, phonetics and acoustics, markup technologies. Also, I find teaching super exciting!
What I am currently doing
Currently I am most interested in the following:
- Scientific integrity, reproducibility, evaluation protocols, signifiance testing
- Translating sign languages
- Teaching NMT
- Novel decoding algorithms for NMT
- Robustness of NMT systems
Planning a programming project or thesis related to the topics mentioned above? Come talk to me, I'd love to hear about it.
- 05/2021: A paper by myself and Rico Sennrich on the biases and robustness of Minimum Bayes Risk decoding was accepted to ACL 2021!
- 04/2021: A new paper on the applicability of pose estimation for sign language recognition is accepted to the ChaLearn workshop of CVPR 2021. Recording
- 04/2021: Our paper on the quality of web-crawled multilingual corpora will be presented at the AfricaNLP Workshop of EACL 2021. Find a preprint here.
- 03/2021: Gave a talk at NLPWithFriends about scientific progress in machine translation, more info and recording.
- 12/2020: Check out a new series of blog posts about MT evaluation. All feedback is welcome!
- 10/2020: Our paper on improving zero-shot NMT is accepted to WMT.
- 10/2020: Our paper on "Domain Robustness in NMT" is accepted to AMTA.
- 08/2020: Finished my degree in "Hochschuldidaktik" recently, a two-year program for people who'd like to take teaching seriously. More info.
- 07/2020: I recently started a Youtube playlist where I explain sequence generation decoding algorithms such as beam search.
- 02/2020: Gave two (!) talks in a row in our kolloquium, on zero-shot translation and noisy parallel data. Slides.
- 01/2020: Wrote an all-new tutorial on multilingual neural machine translation with Sockeye. For feedback or comments please email me!
- 12/2019: An interview with Slator resulted in an article discussing the prospects of BLEU.
- 10/2019: Gave a "no-nonsense" talk about MT research at the fifth MT meetup in Zurich.
- 07/2019: I was co-author of the WMT 19 findings paper.